Saturday, October 22, 2016

Leaving the nest

Hey there, good morning, here's three or four exciting things going on this week that you might hopefully be interested in.

First up, this weekend I've been invited to host not one, but two, still life drawing workshops.

So if you're in the mood to have a draw then come along to the MPavillion today, (Saturday October 22), from 2-4pm. For more details click here.

And then tomorrow, (Sunday October 23), from 10-11am, I'm hosting another drawing workshop in the Queen Vic Market, as part of the Melbourne Biennial Lab. For more details on that one click here.

Come to both! They're totally free and fun for people of all ages and skill levels. 

Am I qualified to teach still life drawing? Possibly not, but come watch me try! 
In other news, for the last two weeks I've been doing a residency with the Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery. Basically the awesome team at the MPRG commissioned me to spend some time on the Peninsula to draw their native birdlife.

And so yeah, I'm no eggspert but I've really been getting in to the subtle art of birdwatching.
(Big thanks to Danny Lacy for the photo!)
My bird drawings will be turned into a colouring book, and in December this year the Mornington Gallery are having a big exhibition all about birds and my colouring book will be available at the show.

I'll talk more about the project soon but for now if you'd like more info on the bird show or my involvement in it, click here.

In the meantime, here's a drawing of an early bird about to catch a worm.


And in news that's not even slightly related to art, last Tuesday night I tried stand up comedy.
Ha, yep, there I am on stage at a comedy room in Fitzroy. A big thanks to my buddy Nelson for taking that photo from the front row.

I worked really hard on writing and rehearsing my little five minute set and it actually went surprisingly well. Ha, well that's what people told me at least, I recorded it but am too afraid to listen back. I don't know if I'll ever do it again, I think it's probably just something I wanted to try once, but yeah it was definitely a really fun way to scare myself. 

Speaking of intimidating moments, last week I got to meet one of my very favourite comedians; Judith Lucy! As well as being a hilarious comic Judith Lucy is also a hilarious author, and so naturally I made a ceramic sculpture of her book. And she was super wonderful and friendly and kind enough to sign it for me. 
(Big thanks to Amaya Sundae for this photo!)

And speaking of books, I reckon my life is officially at the beginning of a new chapter. This morning at 7am I went to the gym...

Not for a work out though of course, no way, I went there to cancel my membership.

And the reason I quit my gym, (aside from laziness and not being able to afford it), is that I'm moving to the city!

Now I know what you're thinking; "Kenny, don't you think 28 is way too young to be moving out of home?!" But it's ok, I'm ready. 

Trying to find a sharehouse was pretty weird though; driving all over the place, getting tours of strangers homes while they're eating dinner, and feeling like you're on blind dates with entire households. Until finally I hit the jackpot, I found a really amazing place with really amazing people, and I move in next week. Yay! I'm actually really excited.

But ok, hopefully things are exciting for you too. And if you're looking for a little more excitement then for flocks sake come do some still life drawing with me today and tomorrow!

Thanks heaps for reading and I hope your weekend is full of many flights of fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment