Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Blood, sweat and Voltaire's

Sometimes when you go through the old photos on your phone you can find some real gems you'd forgotten about. 

I'm not sure if this photo is one of those gems but maybe it is, well, at the very least it does literally contain gems.

And so yeah, here's a photo I took at the NGV last year of Catherine the Great’s famous collection of gems alongside a handful of ceramic sculptures I made of potato gems.


And speaking of Catherine the Great, here's the cover to a book of writing, drawing and activities that I was commissioned to make about her by the NGV while I was the artist in residence during their recent Hermitage exhibition. 
(I still have a couple of copies of this book, Catherine the Great Gatsby, so send me an email if you'd like one, they're $5.) 

Anyway the reason I bring all this up is because Catherine the Great was friends with a little 18th century writer by the name of Voltaire, and speaking of Voltaire, I've been invited to read some of my silly writing tomorrow at the House of Voltaire. 

It's 4pm, (on Thursday, July 21), at 80 Collins Street in Melbourne, come along!

House of Voltaire is a UK not for profit gallery, if you'd like more info about them click here for a link to their website, (or click here for an article about them published last week in Broadsheet.

And yeah, the House of Voltaire is really awesome, and my little reading has been curated by Melissa Loughnan which is really awesome too, and ok great, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun and hope to see you there!

In the meantime, here's a photo of me asleep after clearly having just read every single book ever written about Voltaire. 

And yes, I'm wearing an INXS t-shirt, but that's only because they could never Voltaire us apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment