Monday, November 11, 2013

School's out

Hey!

Last week I had my final assessment, which means I have now officially completed my Honours-VCA-Fine-Art-Degree-Bachelor-Diploma-Major-In-Painting-Overgraduate-Whatever-It's-Called.

And, once the upcoming Grad Show has come and gone, this marks the completion of my six years of full time studying the art of making art.

Like all big things, it's both exciting and scary, but I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be to find a studio, have shows, and be what's officially known in the industry as "A real artist".

Not that I haven't already been doing that for ages, but even still, it will be a bit different.

I love art school, and for a million reasons, I miss it already. 

Probably what I'll miss most of all is the frequent speeches made by the Melbourne University Student Union representatives. 

Here's a drawing I did while sitting in the audience of one such speech not too long ago. (I promise you I didn't make up a single word of the text.)
Acrylic on A4 225gsm paper.

I never did join the Student Union, although one piece of advice about the Student Union for any future VCA student who might be reading this is that the Student Union has a great BBQ that occasionally they'll let you borrow for student gallery openings.
The other advice, which is something Dan and I often forgot, is that the majority of what you cook should be vegan, because it turns out most of the peanut heads at art school don't eat meat. 

I know, crazy right?!

Ha, but in all seriousness, I've learnt so, so much and made so many amazing friends at art school, and my only hope is that as we go on, we remember, all the times we had together, and as our lives change, come whatever, we will still be friends forever.

It was something unpredictable but in the end it was right, it's really been the time of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment