Thursday, November 28, 2013

I've Grad it up to here with you

Hey so a big thanks to everyone that made it to the opening of the VCA Graduate Exhibition, (or Melbourne Uni Now), on Monday night. I'm really Grad you could be there, and I hope you had a radically, or Gradically, good time.

It felt like there was hundreds and thousands of people there, and so if you weren't able to make it, to help you visualise the amount of people, here's a drawing I did of exactly one thousand, one hundred 100's and 1000's.
Acrylic on paper. 14 x 21cm.

Well, maybe what would be more useful at helping you visualise the amount of people at the opening would be to show you this image I found on instagram.
The reason I'm resorting to making drawings and sourcing images from instagram is that I was having so much fun talking with friends and having a good time that I didn't even think of taking any photos. Well, that's not completely true, I took four. 

Here's two photos of people looking at my work.
And here's two photos of people taking photos of my work. 
It's so strange watching people photograph your work, particularly when they're people you don't know. One guy even set up the biggest tripod I've ever seen just to take a photo of my sculpture of a camera. 

Another thing that really made me smile was seeing a really fancy looking elderly lady pushing out her chest as far as she possibly could, giggling while her husband photographed her next to my calculator sculpture. 
That was something I hadn't counted on. (Excellent calculator pun).

I'm also really grateful and excited to say I was lucky enough to have been awarded one of the prizes that was going around; the Myers Place Mick Pettifer Memorial Award. 
But so yeah, I'll be sitting the show all weekend, come say hi! It's open everyday until Sunday from 11 to 4. Also, if you only saw the show at the opening then come back again if you can, it'll be much easier to see the art without all the hotties blocking your view.

Here's a photo of me sitting the show the morning after the Grad Show after party.
You can't see it too well in the photo but I was holding a chocolate honeycomb cup cake that my studio buddy Christina brought me and my pal Dan.
It's probably the yummiest and schmanciest cup cake I've ever held, and even though I only had two bites before I couldn't eat anymore and threw it out the second storey window to the chubby bird in the garden below, the morning was definitely still a lot classier than the last time I sat the Grad Show

Anyway I'll be sure to put up lots more photos of my work in the next week or so but for now I've Grad just about enough of this. Ha, thanks heaps for reading and hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment