Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My train fetish

Heya bluey, how're yooey?

About a week ago I submitted my honors degree 3000 word essay. In the essay I analysed the strategy behind England born Scottish artist Martin Creed's website.

(Speaking of websites, don't forget that I've got one!)

One of Creed's most famous works is titled Work No. 79, it's a piece he did in 1993 where he thumbed a ball of blu-tack onto the gallery wall,
and so obviously when it came to submitting my essay I decided to stick the thing together using blu-tack instead of staples.
Ha, it was definitely worth it, although I'm sure I'll lose some marks for being so tacky.

Anyway, my essay's done and I feel really good about it, and what that means is I didn't have to be studying on the train ride into the city this morning. and so I was a little excited to do some train drawing.

The first man I started to draw got off the train after only one stop.
So this is the finished drawing.
(paint marker on 225gsm paper, 21 x 29cm)

The second drawing, this time of a woman, lasted a lot longer.

As I was getting off the train I showed the drawing to the woman, she was nice about it. 

Here's the video I made. 
And here's the finished drawing. 
(paint marker on 225gsm paper, 21 x 29cm)


After I got off the train I got onto a tram full of year seven high school girls going on an excursion. I sat opposite a young girl whose Mum was one of the supervisors on the trip. 

The daughters Mum was talking to another Mum who was also there to supervise the excursion. The daughters Mum was explaining to the other Mum that because her daughter is vision impaired she doesn't have to pay for public transport.

"But I do have a normal myki card as well" protested the daughter. "Well you shouldn't have a normal myki because then you have to pay money" said the mother. "But I want to have a normal myki card!" said the daughter, "But you're not normal and we can't afford it" snapped the mother.

It was heartbreaking.

The daughter turned around and it was only then I saw her face, one eye was completely fine and the other was blind. It was glassy and cloudy, and looked a lot like my poor old dog Pugs' eye when he started losing his vision.

Going blind is easily one of my biggest fears, and the three minute tram ride really shook me up, so much so that I decided to go to the National Gallery of Victoria to see the Monet exhibition. Poor Monet. Like Pugs and the girl on the train, Monet too had struggled with his sight. 

I went by myself as I couldn’t find anybody around the studios willing to pay to see the show. It cost 25 dollars, and so because of that I arrived at the National Gallery 25 minutes before it opened. 

Here's a photo of the other people already there waiting to see the show.
I loved the exhibition. It was so much better than I expected. Ha, spoiler alert; Monet is a great artist.

It’s funny to think how Monet and all the other impressionists were so inspired by the fleeting blurs they saw from looking out of train windows, and here’s me, 100 years later, much more interested with what’s going on inside the train.

The woman I drew was reading a book called Fetish by Canada born Australian author Tara Moss. I hadn't heard of it, but I googled it, and it turns out it's Tara Moss' first novel, and also a bestseller.

Here's a photo of Tara Moss with her book.
And to think, right now you could be reading something written by somebody that looks like that, but instead you're reading this, written by me. So I just want to take a moment to say thank you, I really appreciate it. 

Hope to see you soon. Love, Kenny.
PS. On Sunday I de-installed the Kenneth Biennale at both TCB Gallery and Margaret Lawrence Gallery, so Rearview Gallery is now the only part of the Biennale still running. It's open every day until this Saturday afternoon.

I'm sitting Rearview Gallery from 12-6 on Wednesday June 26, (tomorrow), so if you're in the area I'd love for you to come see the show. Please visit me, look how lonely I am.
Thanks again for reading, hopefully see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is fantastic that you blu-tac'd your essay together. Did you know Blu-tac is made in Melbourne? Perhaps you should visit the factory. Perhaps a blu-tac sculpture of the blu-tac factory.

    x

    ReplyDelete