Saturday, May 11, 2013

A bit of alright

I'd never really been in much of a car accident until yesterday. 

Actually, I'll get to that in a second.

First, hey, what're you up to today? I'm in an exhibition at the awesome Third Drawer Down, (off Gertrude street in Brunswick, Melbourne), this afternoon between 3 and 5. If you're free definitely come say hi.

If you can't make it though, the exhibition runs for the entire month of May.

The other artists in the show are really, really good; Tessa Carapic and Brodie Wood.

There's a fourth artist in the show as well whose work I haven't seen yet. His name's Morgan Peck. He's American, he lives and works in Washington. 

Peck managed to deliver his work to Third Drawer Down all the way from the other side of the world. Me, I couldn't do it from here in Upper Ferntree Gully. 

I was driving to Third Drawer Down yesterday to install my work. I probably didn't need to buy any petrol, I had a little bit over a quarter of a tank, but I decided to play it safe. As I was pulling into the petrol station a truck mustn't have seen me and crash, he drove straight into me.

The jolt and crunching metal was scary. The whole thing was scary. To me this truck looked about a thousand meters long. It was one of those refrigerated ones that're used for carrying meat. Or ice sculptures. At least no-one was hurt. It could've been a lot worse.

There was no time to be upset, I had to be a grown up. Get out. Ask the truck driver for his license. Document the accident. Assess the damage. Clean up the road, (I kept some pieces of his truck as souvenirs).

But after he'd driven off I was left on the side of the highway alone with a car that I wasn't sure still worked, and I was pretty shaken up. Luckily I have the best Dad in the world who came and helped me sort out the insurance and fix the car well enough to get it home.

I only have a couple of minutes to write this so I'll have to speed it up a bit, but so basically I'm going back to Third Drawer Down today to have a second shot at installing my work.


And here's a painting I did that's being used as the invite image, it's acrylic on 225gsm paper. 21 x 29.5cm.
Anyway, fingers crossed my car isn't written off, come have a drink with me this afternoon if you can, hope to see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kenny--sorry you had to go through all that. Glad you're okay but you're gonna need that drink. All the best for the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete