Monday, October 08, 2012

And it was all yellow (Part one)

Hey so I already showed you the view from my home studio window here, but if you tilt your head at just the right angle, here's the view from my uni studio.
So that's Australian sculptor Ron Robertson-Swann's 1980 public sculpture Vault, or as it is generally known, the Yellow Peril

The Yellow Peril is notorious for being hated by the public, (apparently because of it's modernist form but probably much more so because it cost $70,000 of taxpayers money). 

Due to protesting the Yellow Peril only lasted from May until December in its original  commissioned location in Melbourne City Square before it was moved out of the way to Batman Park in 1981. 

The Yellow Peril stayed in Batman Park until 2002 when it was finally moved to the sandpit next to ACCA, (the Australian Center for Contemporary Art), where I get to enjoy it every time I look out my window.


Here's a drawing I did of the Peril on the 25th of August 2010 of a man getting a parking fine in front of it.
I've since seen this happen many, many times, and once or twice have been the one getting the fine myself.

After doing ten seconds of research into the Vault I've discovered that it was given its nickname, (because it was yellow and unwanted), after another Yellow Peril. This Yellow Peril refers to a time in the late 19th century when Chinese immigrants came in large numbers into many Western countries, most notably America. 

To quote wikipedias page on Yellow Peril, many Americans "believed that the mass immigration of Asians threatened white wages and standards of living".

So I don't know, I can't help but feel like maybe we shouldn't be calling Vault the Yellow Peril. It's pretty bad. Maybe we should call it the Yellow Meryl instead. Meryl is a much nicer and less racist name for the Vault.

Although if you really want to see a racist Yellow Peril then you should watch the video I'll be putting onto youtube later this week.

(If that's not a cliffhanger then I don't know what is).
(Subscribe to my youtube channel here).
(hi).

No comments:

Post a Comment